Just a day after Uttar Pradesh put a stop to the religious event, Delhi too called off the Kanwar Yatra in view of the pandemic. A government order on Sunday prohibits celebrations, processions, and gatherings to mark the yatra, which was scheduled to begin on July 25.
“The Kanwar Yatra has been banned in Uttarakhand, but despite this, there is a risk of the spread of the virus due to crowding or taking out processions, in view of which this decision has been taken,” the order by Delhi Disaster Management Authority said.
The yatra was called off in Uttarakhand after tension grew amongst authorities. Studies by experts regarding a potential third wave made authorities fear the risk such a gathering might pose.
In response to the spread of COVID-19, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said earlier that all governments and individuals must take the necessary steps.
For more updates visit https://yjindia.com/